St. John�s Takes First Annual High School Classic, 3-1

St. John’s Pioneers vs. St.-Peter Marian Guardians
DCU Center – Worcester, MA
February 2, 2008
St. John’s Takes First Annual High School Classic, 3-1
By: Justin Lafleur
WORCESTER, MA- Behind a strong effort by goaltender Ben Siok, the St. John’s Pioneers defeated the St. Peter-Marian Guardians, 3-1, in the First Annual High School Classic on Saturday at the DCU Center in Worcester.
Siok was named the game’s number one star with 28 saves on 29 shots. St. Peter-Marian netminder Ryan Griffin finished with 20 saves on 23 shots.
It took a while for either team to light the lamp, but it wasn’t for a lack of opportunities. At 4:45 of the first period, junior Pat Trainor led a two-on-one St. John’s rush up ice. The centering feed was broken up, though, by St. Peter-Marian sophomore James Germain.
At 7:15, the Pioneers put together another bid, as sophomore Nathan Etre was sprung on a rush up ice. Griffin came out strong, but Etre made a move around him. His attempt at the open net was knocked away by sprawling St. Peter-Marian junior defenseman Drew Allain.
The Guardians had a golden opportunity to take the lead at 9:22 when senior Brandon Knox took a shot from the point. St. John’s goaltender Ben Siok made the initial save and stuffed senior Matthew Lynch’s rebound bid while sprawled on the ice.
Freshman Devon Smith gave the Pioneers the 1-0 lead at 14:42. Sophomore Ryan Menard made an outlet pass from the defensive zone to a streaking Keith Kelley at the right wing. Kelley, a freshman, made a nifty pass from the right faceoff circle across to Smith, who beat Griffin before he could get back.
Shots at the end of one period were 9-5 in favor of the Guardians.
The Pioneers doubled their lead at 1:45 of the second period. With St. Peter-Marian senior Sean Gaffney in the penalty box for interference, sophomore Ben Snow found himself in the left faceoff circle. He put a shot towards goal that found its way through traffic to the back of the net for the 2-0 advantage.
St. Peter-Marian cut the lead in half at 9:38 of the second period when senior Andrew LeClair lit the lamp. Fellow senior Matthew Lopes passed to LeClair from between the left faceoff circle and the end boards. LeClair’s first attempt was stopped, but his rebound beat Siok, making it 2-1.
St. John’s outshot St. Peter-Marian, 12-9, in the second period. After two periods, total shots stood at 18-17 in favor of the Guardians.
At 2:05 of the third period, St. Peter-Marian had perhaps its best opportunity of the game. Junior Sean Dextradeur picked off an errant pass and went in all alone on Siok. Dextradeur made a move to his backhand, but Siok closed the door.
St. John’s added insurance with just over five minutes remaining in the third period. Sophomore Thomas Krysil made a pass from the left faceoff circle to sophomore Michael Coulombe. Coulombe held the puck and carried around Griffin. He easily slipped it into the open net for the 3-1 lead.
Final shots were 29-23 in favor of St. Peter-Marian.
In the junior varsity game played earlier in the day, St. Peter-Marian scored the first two goals of the game, but St. John’s stormed back with three unanswered goals to come out on top, 3-2.
Home of the 2009 AHL All-Star Classic

Send to a Friend
| Printer-Friendly
Privacy Policy
© 2006 Worcester Sharks. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Worcester Sharks.