Jr. Reporter's Night Recap

The Worcester Sharks hosted their first annual Jr. Reporters Night on Friday, March 25th when the Sharks hosted the Providence Bruins. About 25 Junior Reporters met with FOX25 Sports Director Ryan Asselta and witnessed a live news shot and talked with Charter TV3 Sports Director Kevin Shea. After the game, the junior reporters met with players Nick Petrecki and Tommy Wingels in a press conference like setting and asked questions about the Sharks game. Each student was asked to write a game recap from the game.   Below are the Top 5 (in no particular order) recaps!

Thank-you all for submitting your game recaps!
Congratulations to Kathryn Probst, Cam Donahue, Sarah Corso, Jennie Tanner, and Zoe Retamel! 
For more information regarding Jr. Reporters Night, please contact Chris Curtis in the Worcester Sharks Front Office at 508-929-0504.
Sharks defeated 4-2 by Providence
- by Kathryn Probst
Worcester MA- The Sharks lost to their biggest rival, Providence Bruins, during an exciting game on Friday, March 25, at the DCU Center.
Trent Whitfield led the Bruins on to the scoreboard when he hit the puck into the goal as he skated around it at 6:07.  Worcester jumps onto the board right behind them as Patrick Davis scored by deflecting the puck into the goal after Matt Irwin hit it to him from the blue line after 11:34.
Not wanting to keep it tied, Providence player, Jamie Arniel score after 12 minutes.  Worcester again ties the score as Benn Ferrier dodges Providence player and shoots at 16:57.  Sharks outshoot Providence 13-9 in the first period, and the two teams are tied at 2-2.
Providence player Trent Whitfield score again 12 minutes in to the second period.  Worcester player, Dan DaSilva falls on to the Providence goalie, Anton Khudobin, as he tries to score awhile later.  A brawl starts at the Providence goal and Providence player K. Miller receive two minutes for roughing.  The Sharks continue to outshoot the Bruins 12-5 in the second period, though Providence takes the lead 3-2.
 Mike Moore of Worcester receives two minutes for hooking after 1:38 into the third period.  Providence player Colby Cohen, after hitting the puck into the crowd, receives two minutes for delay of game.  With less then a minute left, Worcester pulls their goalie out for an extra player.  Providence player, Kirk MacDonald breaks away and scores.  Providence wins the game 4-2.
Notes: The Three Stars of the game were; 3rd star: Jamie Arniel of Providence, 2nd star: Benn Ferriero of Worcester, and 1st star: Trent Whitfield of Providence. Providence goalie, Anton Khudobin made 31 saves out of 33 shots.  Worcester goalie, Harri Sateri made 19 saves out of 22 shots.
Great rivalry
By Cam Donahue
It is a beautiful night here at the DCU center, with a bitter rivalry continuing between the Worchester Sharks and the Providence Bruins. Their rivalry is as bad as the Red Sox and Yankees or Coke and Pepsi. This will be a great game!
30 sec in Wingels shoots, but the goalie saves it. Just after Mashinter shoots and barely misses net. Then right after Moore gets pummeled into boards and at first he stagers a bit when he gets up. Laliberte gets hurt by McLaren crosschecking him and the coach has to come out to help him. McLaren gets a penalty for crosschecking for doing that. After that Moore shoots and the goalie saves it. The Bruins have better luck and Whitfield gets a pass from MacDonald and shoots and scores to make it 1 to 0 Bruins. The referee then gets hit by the sharks dumping in the puck. Longpre then shoots twice from the point and neither goes in. Then Davis shoots a slap shot from the point and it goes in! He gets the first point making the score 1 to 1. Just after there is a bad bounce, so it is a 2 on 1 and Arniel, one of the Bruins on the 2 on 1, scores. Making the score 2 to 1 Bruins. Ferriero then breaks around the defensemen and skates to the net as fast as he can shoots and scores, tying the game 2 to 2.
 In the second period Whitefield scores another goal for the Bruins by skating around the defense and passing. Then there is a penalty for Wingels for high sticking twelve minutes and twenty two second in to the second period. During this penalty the Bruins hit the crossbar on the net! At least it wasn’t two inches lower or it would have been a goal. Later in period Miller get a penalty for roughing. It was eighteen minutes and thirty-four seconds into the second period.
Then one minute and thirty-eight seconds in to the third period Moore gets a hooking penalty. Then DaSilva shoots and barely misses. Then later in the period Henderson gets a break away and the goalie saves it barely. Then just after that the Shark’s goalie made a great save on his stomach, barely catching it. Then immediately after the bruins tried to do a wraparound but the goalie saved it. The with Fifty-four seconds left the Bruins scored a final time by MacDonald shooting at an empty net, and it never happened again because the goalie went back into the goal for the remainder of the game.
All in all there was an amazing game, and I am very surprised that there weren’t any fights because they have a huge rivalry. Oh well maybe next time there will be some fights. That’s all for today folks I can’t wait until the next game.
Bruins 4 Providence 2
By: Sarah Corso
On Friday night the Sharks hosted the Providence Bruins at the DCU. It was Kathryn Tappen bobble head night where the first 3,000 fans received her bobblehead. Kathryn, a NESN studio host and wife of former Worcester Shark Jay Leach, signed autographs and dropped the ceremonial first puck at the beginning of the game. The attendance of this game was 6,242, making it one of the largest crowds this year at the DCU center. However this was a game the fans will easily forget.
Harri Sateri was in goal for Worcester while Anton Khudobin was minding the net for the Providence. In the first period play was continuous and each team trading chances until Frazer McLaren took a 2-min boarding penalty 3:18 into the game. That got Worcester on the kill. They killed the penalty successfully. At 6:07 Trent Whitfield scored on a one timer that went by Sateri. Providence led 1-0. However Worcester came back with a goal by Patrick Davis at 11:34. Davis tipped a shot from Matt Irwin down by the circles and beat Khudobin for his 6th of the year. Tied 1-1. Just 25 seconds later, however, Jamie Arniel scored on a 2-on-1, making it 2-1 providence. Ben Ferriero closed the scoring in this period, with 3:13 left, on a rush around the defense and poked it through Khodubin for his 16th goal of the season.
It was 2-2 at the beginning of the second. Worcester came out with 5 shots in 2 minuets but no goal. It was back and forth hockey with each chance being gobbled and swatted by each goaltender until 7:45 into the second period when a 3 on 2 developed for Providence and Trent Whitfield buried his 2nd of the night and 16th of the year for Providence giving them a 3-2 lead. That was it for the scoring in that period but each team had a chance at the power play as Tommy Wingles went to the box for high-sticking at 13:22 and Kevin miller of Providence went to the box for roughing at 18:34. Worcester killed off Wingles penalty and was 0-2 on the penalty kill through 2 periods. Miller’s penalty had 0:34 seconds left over from the second to the third period. 
On the power play for 34 more seconds the Sharks could not capitalize on the penalty. Still 3-2 providence with18:21 remaining and captain mike Moore takes a penalty for hooking. Although on the kill, Jamie McGinn creates a scoring chance that was turned aside by Khudobin. Worcester killed the penalty but it seemed Providence got more momentum and did not let sharks get a rhythm going. The Sharks got another chance on the PP as Colby Cohen took a delay of game penalty. Again the sharks could not capitalize and went 0-2 for the night on the power play. For most of the third, Sateri was keeping the Sharks in the game with a couple of big stops. With 6 minutes to go a timeout was called. As play resumed Kevin Henderson had a chance to tie it but a big save from Khudobin kept the Bruins ahead by one. Sharks continued not to have sustained pressure. It was mostly one and done. Sharks pulled the Sateri with one minute left in the game in hope of tying it. Unfortunately, it did not take long for Kirk MacDonald to send the puck down the ice for an empty netter goal with 0:53 seconds to go. Final score: Providence 4, Worcester 2. The next time these two teams renew their rivalry is when they play on April 2nd @7pm at the DCU center.
An Epic Battle
By: Jennie Tanner
While wandering through the back hallways of the Worcester DCU Center, the air was thick with anticipation and excitement. It was student journalist night at the DCU Center, and the Worcester Sharks were playing their rivals, the Providence Bruins. Upon entering the rink, the lights shut off and music began blaring, signaling the beginning of what was sure to be an intense game. As the game began, many wondered who the first goal would go to. That question was answered within the first ten minutes of the game, when Bruins player Trent Whitfield scored. In between goals, many players on both teams made attempts to steal the puck away, only to have it taken back into the opponent’s possession once more.
The Sharks refused to be outdone and quickly followed up the Bruins goal with a goal of their own, with a victory song ensuing just after the goal was made. Each team got another goal before the end of the first period, tying the score. The Bruins took their third goal in the 2nd period, and the Sharks got on the game faces. The puck flew into the crowd during a desperate battle for it on the ice, and another was quickly tossed onto the ice, with the two teams pursuing it. In the midst of the action during that third period, Sharks fans began chanting “Let’s go Sharks”, showing their unbridled support for the home team.
With ten minutes left in the game, Sharks player Tommy Wingels was slammed into the ice by a Bruins player. Unscathed he recovered quickly and the Sharks continued to play. Number 47, Kevin Henderson, made a break in the play and rocketed towards the goal to take the shot. He missed with six minutes left in the game. Then, with one minute left in the game, the fans still cheering for the Sharks, the Bruins score again, making the final score to be 4-2, in favor of the Bruins.
Two Sharks players, Tommy Wingels, number 17, and Nick Petrecki, number 29, remain hopeful for the rest of the season and the playoffs this year.
They stay positive about their loss to their rivals.
“[I] wish the game had started a little better…” Wingels said of the Sharks’ loss to the Bruins. He also said that “We just have to come to the rink ready to play tomorrow,” in an effort to remain upbeat about the loss. He also added that “Each guy brings something to the team [and] you’ve just got to find a way to pull your weight [while playing in a game]”.
As for the playoffs, Petrecki says “I’d like to think [that we’ll make the playoffs this year]”. He also says “It’s scary to think we only have eight games left [before the playoffs]”.
Providence Bruins Defeat Worcester Sharks
By: Zoe Retamel
                Last Friday, March 25th, Worcester Sharks went head to head against their rivals, the Providence Bruins.
                T. Whitfield shot the first goal of the night for the Bruins at 13:53. Sharks made a valiant effort to come back, M. Irwin scoring their first goal for the sharks at 8:26. Bruins making a quick comeback and taking the least just seconds after the Sharks first goal. J. Arniel scoring at 7:59. B Ferriero finally scoring the goal he was trying to get all night, He eases the puck right under Khudobin, just 3:13 before the buzzer.
                It seems as if the teams lost their spark from the first period. Both teams trying to score. Only Whitfield of the Bruins scores again at 12:15. The sharks trying to regain a point, but Khudobin stops every shot attempted by the Sharks.
                Bothe teams still trying in an intrepid effort to score on each other, The sharks pulled Sateri in the last minute of the game. The risky move backfired on the sharks, allowing another goal by the Bruins to be made with 53. 8 seconds left in the game.
                The Sharks great effort to come back from the second period 3-2 score was in vain and the Bruins won the game with a 4-2 score.

  • St. Vincent Hospital
SSE Affiliates