Worcester takes on Connecticut in 500th game in Sharks History
Worcester takes on Connecticut in 500th game in Shark’s History
By Andrew Nawn
The Worcester Sharks (12-8-1-2, 27 points) will look to continue their December success and revenge two early season losses when they take on the Connecticut Whale in Hartford, CT this Wednesday at 7pm in their 500th game in franchise history.
Worcester is coming off a (1-0-0-1) weekend in which they regained the Atlantic Division lead by defeating Manchester 3-2 on Sunday in yet another come from behind victory, bouncing backing from a 3-2 shootout loss to Providence on Saturday.
This will be third meeting out of four between these two Eastern Conference Rivals with Connecticut getting the better of the first two games defeating the Sharks 6-2 and 2-1 at the DCU Center.
Here are the ways you can listen or watch the game if you can’t make it to the XL Center:
All 76 regular season games can be heard live on 580AM and 94.9FM WTAG or online at www.wtag.com. Email Sharks broadcaster Eric Lindquist at radio@Sharksahl.com to send questions or a special shout out!
For a small fee watch EVERY Worcester Sharks game online at www.AHLlive.com.
Get live updates at all three preseason games and all 76 regular season games through www.twitter.com/SharksAHLinGame (goals, assists, fights, and big saves)
Get the inside scoop and behind the scenes stuff on game days via www.twitter.com/WorcesterSharks
Interact with other Sharks fans on game day by following the Worcester Sharks on Facebook (www.facebook.com/WorcesterSharks). Exclusive game day photos will be posted after most games!
Visit www.SharksAHL.com every game day for previews, special features, game photos, post game highlights, and recap!
A look at the Whale…
Currently Connecticut (10-11-2-0) has 22 points in 23 games played, good for third place in the Northeast Division and 12th in the Eastern Conference. Connecticut defense has been a major concern so far this season as the Whale have allowed an AHL leading 82 goals this season.
A large part in Connecticut allowing 3.57 goals a game has been there penalty kill that has a conversion rate of 78.9% good for 28th in the league. Connecticut has lost two straight games and five out of its last six overall being outscored 25-9 in the six game span.
Whales to look out for....
The Connecticut Whales offense is led by a few players that we saw fill up the score sheet both times they played the Sharks this season.
Kris Newbury leads this Whale’s offense with 21 points (7 goals, 14 assists) in 21 games played, and is the only Connecticut skater averaging a point per game. Chad Kolarik has been one of main benefactors of Newbury’s exceptional playmaking skill as he leads the team with 8 goals and is second on Connecticut with 17 points.
Connecticut enforcer, Michael Haley is also a skater to watch as he comes into this game with a team high 74 penalty minutes and 10 fighting majors which is tied for third amongst AHL skaters.
Between the pipes for Connecticut is Cam Talbot, don’t let his (8-8-0-0) record trick you as he is (2-0-0-0) verse Worcester this year compiling a stellar 1.50 goals against and .936 save percentage in those two contests.
• Worcester will be playing in their 500th game in franchise history. Their all-time record is 243-197-21-38.
• Kennedy is on fire!!! Tim Kennedy has an 8 game point streak collecting 14 points (7 goals, 7 assists) during the streak. He is currently tied for 3rd in the AHL with 26 points ( 12 goals, 14 assists.)
• The Sharks lead the AHL with 5 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play.
• Going to a shootout??? Worcester has participated in a AHL high 6 shootouts and have a record of 4-2 in them.
• Worcester currently holds the best divisional record in the Atlantic at (9-3-1-1.)
• On Sunday, Worcester hosts the Portland Pirates where Boston Bruins Legend and National Anthem Singer Rene Rancourt will be singing the National Anthem and signing autographs prior to the game. Also Worcester native Sam James, who was a contestant on “The Voice”, will be singing Christmas songs in between periods.