Sharks at Pirates Preview
Sharks look to continue recent success
The Sharks will look to continue their November success (4-1-1-0) when they travel up to Lewiston, Maine, to take on the Portland Pirates at 7pm. These two Atlantic Division rivals are separated by just 2 points, with Worcester sitting in second (6-5-1-1= 14 points) and Portland (5-4-1-1=12 points) right behind them in third place. This will be the third meeting of twelve during the season, with Worcester picking up a 3-1 win the last time they met on November 9th giving them a (1-1-0-0) record verse Portland this season. The two teams are averaging 44 penalty minutes a game in their two meetings so far, so you can expect a gritty and intense game come Wednesday evening in Lewiston.
Previous game results this season:
November 9, 2012- POR 1 AT WOR 3 Win
October 19, 2012 WOR 4 AT POR 7 Loss
Here are the ways you can listen or watch the game if you can’t make it up to Maine.
All 76 regular season games can be heard live on 580AM and 94.9FM WTAG or online at www.wtag.com. Email Sharks broadcaster Eric Lindquist at radio@Sharksahl.com to send questions or a special shout out! Pregame show begins at 6:30pm.
For a small fee watch EVERY Worcester Sharks game online at www.AHLlive.com.
Get live updates at all three preseason games and all 76 regular season games through www.twitter.com/SharksAHLinGame (goals, assists, fights, and big saves)
Get the inside scoop and behind the scenes stuff on game days via www.twitter.com/WorcesterSharks
Interact with other Sharks fans on game day by following the Worcester Sharks on Facebook (www.facebook.com/WorcesterSharks). Exclusive game day photos will be posted after most games!
Visit www.SharksAHL.com every game day for previews, special features, game photos, post game highlights, and recap!
A look at the Pirates….
Portland currently sits in third place in the Atlantic Division and sixth in the Eastern Conference with 12 points. The Pirates are coming off a (1-1-0-1) a 3 point weekend in which they lost to Worcester 3-1 on 11/9, lost to Wilkes-Barre Scranton 4-3 in a shootout on 11/10, and beat Hershey 3-1 on 11/11. Portland’s dynamic offense has been a constant presence with the team averaging 3.73 goals a game good for 3rd in the AHL. The defense is allowing a league worst 34.55 shots per game resulting in the Pirates allowing 3.36 goals a game tied for 26th in the AHL.
Pirates to watch for….
Portland’s potent offense is led by two forwards who each have registered 13 points, Alexandre Bolduc (8 Goals, 5 Assists) and Chris Conner (5 Goals, 8 Assists.) Both Pirates have enjoyed success against Worcester this season combining for 6 points with Connor tallying 4 points ( 2 Goals, 2 Assists) and Bolduc registering 2 points ( 1 Goal, 1 Assist.) On the blue line Portland is missing NHL prospect Oliver Ekman- Larsson (3 Goals, 6 Assists) who has been limited to 6 games with an upper body injury. This has created the chance for defenseman Michael Stone (2 Goals, 6 Assists) and David Runblad (0 goals, 8 assists) to shine as they have produced in Larsson’s absence.
· Shark’s rookie Freddie Hamilton has enjoyed success verse Portland this season as he has registered 3 points ( 1 goal, 2 assists) and scored the game winning goal verse Portland on 11/9, his first professional goal.
· The Sharks will look to continue their longest road win streak (2 games) since December 17, 2011 when they won five consecutive games away from the DCU.
· Alex Stalock looks to remain sharp as he looks to extend his six game win streak between the pipes. Overall on the season Stalock is (6-2-0) with a 2.38 goals against average, a .916 save percentage with one shutout.
· Bracken Kearns has scored a power play goal in three straight games and will look to add to his AHL leading 5 power play goals verse the Pirates.
· On Saturday November 17th, Worcester hosts the Connecticut Whale as former New England Patriots running back Kevin Faulk will be making a special appearance at the DCU as he will be signing autographs and participating in the ceremonial puck drop.
· Saturday’s game verse Connecticut is also when the Sharks will the host the 7th annual Worcester County Sheriff’s Food Drive to benefit the Friendly House of Worcester. All fans that donate a canned food item at the game will receive a free ticket voucher to the Sharks game on January 16 vs. the Hershey Bears compliments of Price Chopper. All collected food will go directly to the Friendly House of Worcester to be distributed to needy families throughout the Worcester area in time for Thanksgiving.